Saturday, March 12, 2011

A cup of cake

For all you native-english speaking people, let me try and explain this. It can sometimes be extremely irritating when something sounds so good in English, but is simply literally untranslatable to Croatian. Not if we want to keep the whole spirit of a phrase. And believe me when I tell you- cooking and culinary is crowded with those types of expressions.

Lets take the name of this post for example.. This was my idea for the potential name of my blog. But when I would have to translate it to someone, the translation would be very messy and a bit insane. A cup of cake? Who would ever eat cakes in a cup? (let me just say that cupcakes are fairly an unknown idea to Croatian public)


Photobucket

But the chosen name fit perfectly to this post, and this cake.. because thats what it really is- a Cup cake. :)
I planned to give this cake as a gift t a friend of mine for her birthday. But thanks to my brothers very rich social life, the cake never reached the friend.. coz neither did we.

The cake was not meant to be a cup in fact. I formed a little, tall round cake, put it into fondant, made a bow and a few dots. And my brother ran into the kitchen with a completely spontaneous question- Oh, is that a cup? And there it was- i decided to make a cup out of it, by adding a bit of "foam" on top of it.


Photobucket

Anyways, the cake was patiently waiting in the fridge.. one day, two, three.. four days..  after which i assumed there is no more point in waiting. The birthday was long gone, my brother still didn't "have time".. So, the cake decided to open up. And i admit, it looked a bit like from those TV shows.. when they start the cake.. and inside, it is all nicely layered, even layers of cake and creme.. ahh, beauty to the eye..


Photobucket

 In case you were wondering, the recipe for the cake is the classic Vanilla cupcakes one, and the cream is the classic vanilla cream (flour, milk, sugar + butter). Everything so classic, but still so tasty.


Photobucket

So, Amy.. I'm SORRY! This was supposed to be your cake but.. Some other time, some other occasion!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment