Thursday, December 1, 2011

My Paris

„Greetings from Paris!“ 
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Unfortunately, I was not able to do any writing while I was there, even though my initial idea was to inform you daily about all the things I am eating during my stay in this magical city. But well, I am back and it is time for the food photo diary.. of the food I for a change did not make, but one day.. who knows.
I gave an effort and photographer almost all the things I have been consuming, no matter how small and "not important" it seemed. This time, for a change, I didn't end up with many photos of myself next to touristic attractions. But therefore, I am left with a lot of photos of the great food tastes that have been passing through my palate in the 10 days of enjoying Paris.

So, lets kick it off breakfast!


Photobucket

To not eat breakfast in Paris seems like a sin. Amongst all these boulangeries in every corner, you could easily get it that french know what should be a perfect breakfast.. and surely know how to make it. Of course, I should mention that the products you will find in a boulangerie are based on the viennoiserie baking products that include ingredients like-  yeast, puff pastry, butter, eggs, milk, sugar.. Calories, sugar and delicious addiction!

I will not be commenting any of the prices because its pretty obvious you will pay a croissant a lot more on the Champs Elysees than in a neighborhood in the 12. arrondisment.. in which I was luckily staying.. and enjoying all the amazing benefits of the local neighborhood bakery around the corner.

Photobucket
Croissants au beurre (Croissant with butter) that I had in our little bakery were incomparable with any croissant I had until than. Juicy, soft, leaving your mouth full of taste of butter and thin puff pastry, melting on your tongue. I never thought I would become a poet because of a croissant, but some things were stronger than me.

My experience with the  pain au chocolat ("chocolate bread"- puff pastry just like croissant, filled with chocolate) continued my excitement and it soon became my favorite breakfast bite to eat. It just as well consisted of the delicious butter and soft puff pastry taste, additionally filled along with chocolate!

Photobucket

Soon after that, one morning in Bourges (far outside of Paris), my friend treated me with  „des chouquettes“.
Photobucket

Sprinkled with sugar, they seemed interesting, but way to sweet for my taste. Until I actually had my first one, after which I had a hard time stopping until they were all gone. These little balls are in fact choux pastry (used for making profiteroles), sprinkled with pearl sugar and fried. AND very contagious!

 Also, I kept running into the shell shaped puff pastries that looked so interesting I have decided to have a go one morning.
Photobucket
Chaussons aux pommes – apple turnovers (apple slippers) are in fact as well puff pastry filled with the mashed apple compote, which seems to be quite popular in France as well, as it is being sold in the tubes, ready to be consumed "on the go".
Photobucket
This puff pastry dessert is also very loyal to the butter flavor in it, so this is the point where I decided to stop counting the calories and start enjoying every bite I take, knowing I will soon be returning home.

 Another thing able to be found on every corned, but which I (out of my loyalty to Belgium) decided not to try out were- waffles. Usually, you can find a lot of Liege sweet waffles everywhere, but there are also places on which the fresh Belgian waffles are being baked.

Photobucket

But, as i mentioned, I decided to skip them this time and stick to the typical french delicatessens

And to conclude the "breakfast" topic with the inevitable, the sweet bread- Brioche.. which I unfortunately did not photograph, but I have a plan on making it  myself in the next week, so you will get a special report about it soon.

Another tiny detail.. Along breakfast, French usually drink coffee, tea or orange juice, just like everywhere else. But I noticed and tested several different teas based on the same flavor mix- pear, caramel and salty butter, an often mix in their kitchen too. It was my first time ever trying out a tea in those flavors and it made me a real fan of it. I even bought a box of tea to take home, but noticing how I use it on a daily basis, it might not last too long.

I will rest here with my first part of my gastro-travels report about Paris. In the next post you will get more info about cheeses, family dinner, macaroons, luxury patisseries.. Oh yes, I have tried a lot of things!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment