Monday, November 14, 2011

Crrrunchy cornmeal+ orange biscuits

After the long summer months, I am finally back. As you could have noticed from the previous post- I spent my summer interesting and - busy working. As for the kitchen work, I admit I succeeded to get a few chances to get into mine and other peoples kitchen. Therefore I will use this opportunity to thank Manuela from reception and Sanja (ex-co worker) to let me march in their kitchen and their bake ware.


But as I said, I am back home, and about to start my new adventure of tastes, with a new recipe today already!
These cookies have been tested several times, taken out of one (of so many) cook books standing on the shelf, calling me out. I admit, I am rarely attracted by cook books. I dont buy them. I go through them just sometimes. And the worse thing- I dont trust them. Most of them claim to offer something fantastic, but my house has been a circulation of the most wonderful cakes, so knocking me off my feet is not the easiest thing. I especially do not like the no-photo cook books. The chances of me baking from a no-photo recipe is 1: a number with a whole lot of zeros.  The truth is- I've been spoiled by the colorful blogs and sites, who I'm sold out to so easily. 

 Not even this book, no matter how popular, did not win me over.  Jamie Oliver- Return of the naked chef.
Jamie, a fan of chilli peppes, who puts them into pretty much anything, with those gorgeous restaurant-looking photos of food that never looks the same in the real life, enclosed about 10 sweet recipes in his book.  Out of which, I considered making perhaps 4. But this one has not disappointed me at all. And who knows, maybe I give Jamie a second chance with the rest of his picture perfect recipes.



Orange and polenta biscuits
 Makes about 30 biscuits

170g butter (room temperature)
120g sugar
270g corn meal /polenta (non-instant)
100g all-purpose flour
Finely grated zest of 2 oranges
2 eggs
pinch of salt

Should I even mention that this recipe has also been corrected a bit after a few times baking it and testing it.
And now, the procedure:
Combine the butter, sugar, corn flour and flour well together. Than, add freshly grated orange zest and 2 whole eggs. Combine them all with the rest, till the eggs are well incorporated into it. The dough may seem a bit soft, but put it on a plastic foil, wrap it up and put in the fridge until it hardens up, for about an hour.

On the baking paper, spread the balls of dough in 4-5cm distance from each other (otherwise they stick together). The bigger the balls, the more distance you should put between them. I suggest the Rafaello ball size. 


Bake in the preheated oven on 180°C, until golden around the edges. 
You can store these cookies in a cookie container and therefore prologue their freshness.  Still, I prefer them freshly baked.

And for the end, the best thing about these cookies is their- crrrunchiness! Corn flour in cookies? Heck yea! So far, all the corn flour cake recipes Ive tried have been a success! So, if you have any suggestions of your own (with a photo), make sure to let me know!


No comments:

Post a Comment