Monday, November 5, 2012

White chocolate porridge

..it sounds so much better in English than in Croatian, trust me!
 

Photobucket


Todays rainy day encouraged me to work a bit harder on my breakfast, but also to reckon on my great summer days. Exactly this meal was a part of my everyday breakfast routine while working in the hotel Croatia in Cavtat last summer.
Photobucket croatiadining1

And the bare fact that I managed to choose porridge out of the crazy various buffet breakfast offer in this hotel says a whole lot about how much i enjoy this meal. Seriously, the breakfast offer in this hotel is out of your wildest dreams..

Of course, the porridge
in the hotel was not served in the form that I am about to present here.. But i always found a way to make it more interesting. My most common choice was:

Porridge + White chocolate + Bananas


This morning was my first time ever of making porridge, but the preparation, even though it took time to cook, was extremly simple and pretty fool-proof.




White chocolate porridge1 cup oat meal
2 1/2 cups water
a pinch of salt
1 tbs white chocolate / white Nutella
half a banana, cut in pieces


The evening before cooking it, I soaked up a cup of oats in 2 cups water. This amount is sufficient for 2 adults or 2 meals during the day, since you can simply warm it up afterwards and enjoy.
 

oat meal

In the morning, the oat flakes were all squishy and moist, so i put them in a cooking bowl along with the soaking water and a pinch of salt. I brought it to boiling point, than added a half cup water and again brought to boil. From than on, you simply continue cooking it slowly on lower heat, till the porridge thickens a bit.


porridge


What you will get after (in total) 20-30min cooking is a really healthy and well-filling porridge, which, to be honest, most kids would not eat in million years, due to its slimey looks and gooeyness. But here comes my trick!
In the hot bowl of porridge, put a full tablespoon of tiny-cut white chocolate or white Nutella and swirl it around till it all melts. Than add some sliced fresh fruit like bananas or strawberries - and serve!
 

white chocolate banana porridge

Maybe not even this look will be attractive for kids, all the way till they feel the chocolaty taste in it. And when i think about it, my childlike mind sometimes also needs chocolate to make myself try something i wouldn't previously like. Well, in the porridge sense, it surely worked for me!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment