Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Colorful gifts for forever

I know that you definitely expected to see some heart-shaped Valentines cake today.. But let me explain how Valentine's Day works at my home.  
My brother was born the day before Valentines, and there is a tradition in our house that everyone can choose their birthday "menu of the day". So, the day before Valentine's Day was filled in baking cakes for my full-of-ideas brother. And so, when the Valentines day arrives, all the food/cakes are already there, which leaves me with no desire to create something new.

This Valentine's Day I decided to be creative, but not with the oven . I'll share with you two excellent ideas for making a small gift which lasts longer than chocolate and knocks one off their feet more successfully than roses.

Photobucket Photobucket
This first gift was made to my former friend's birthday. We are no longer in contact, so I don`t even know where and how it ended. However, with this gift you are showing someone that you've worked hard and spent much time, thought and effort on them.

Eco-friendly photo frame

If you like small, cute knick-knacks.. and have a lot of them + do not know what to do with them .. Here's an idea .. screws, knobs, springs, beads, openers, caps, broken key chains, parts of pens, coins, zippers .. anything smaller than a fingernail will do! All the items are superglued onto an old CD covered with a colorful napkin, and some of the items were previously painted in pink or green to make a more cheerful effect.

Production time: 1 day
Shelf life: eternal

Crayon heart

I got the idea for this from the amazing Color Me Katie , whose blog is the essence of joy, creativity and childlike positive spirit. I dont need too much persuasion for projects such as this, I am always prepared for such a sweet adventure.
To melt the crayons into this little colorful wonder, there are two possibilities.


Easier - Cut the crayons into small pieces, fill the molds and melt them in the oven.

Photobucket


Complicated - Melt crayons directly into the mold - with a lighter!

Photobucket

Do I even need to mention which version I chose?

Photobucket


So, the process looked a little bit like this..

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
(I decided to leave out the photo of my burnt fingers and 6 destroyed/spent lighters)

And the final work looked like this..

Photobucket


And colored like this..

Photobucket
Production time: 3h
Shelf life:  depends on how bad you feel about actually using this crayon..

I didn't really feel too bad. :) Obviously!

Photobucket

Love, 

Photobucket

1 comment: